Apr 28, 2009

Time to say goodbye..

It's been a week since my return to Turin after the Easter holidays which I've spent home with my family. My last days here went by very fast. Incredibly fast, really.
Besides having to finish off with what I've started three months ago at school, there was loads of saying goodbye. One emotionally intense week, indeed!
I did have to go through the whole »saying goodbye process« once in the past, but it seems to me that no matter how much you prepare for it- you can never be prepared enough.

What I'm feeling at the moment can be described as a kind of »dolce-amaro« taste; feeling extremely happy to return home but on the other hand being sad about leaving behind the life that I've been living in Turin for the past three months. It's been a different life, full of new and exciting things, full of new people (each touched me in his own way). But deep inside me I know this is the right thing. This is how it should be. The period spent here will definitely not be forgotten. But now it's time to move on.. I sure am curious about what life has prepared for me in the future..:)

In the previous week my school work did not differ much from that in any other week- helping teachers of English, that of TOK (Theory of knowledge), having to substitite for a missing professor and holding some supplementary lessons for students with problems.. and soon my working week was finished!

Yesterday it was particularly intense- I had my last lessons with the first and the second class. For this purpose (and to make it a bit more exciting) I've prepared a quiz about Slovenia. Since the start I've tried to make the students understand where Slovenia is located (which is, obviously, a knowledge not to be taken for granted ;) and what its characteristics are. To check whether they've actually remembered anything I gave them a test. They did relatively well. Why relatively? Well, there were still some commentaries about Bratislava and Zagreb being our capital, about Slovenia being a part of either ex Soviet Union or Checkoslovak Republic and this sorts of things.. but we managed to get by ;)

At the end I've asked them to give me a kind of a feedback on my work- writing what they liked and disliked about my lessons. This is something I find to be extremely useful as it can help you improve certain things. In addition, it's an opportunity for the students to get back at me for all the horrible things I've done in the past ;) To be honest I was really very much surpised by the commentaries given. It almost made me cry..
Here are some, in original form (still including grammatical mistakes ;):

»I enjoyed all the exercise, the explains, it was a very nice experience because now we speak the english better then before and we know a little bit better Slovenia.«

»I like very mutch your lessons becaus I have learn something about a new country. But I didn't like becaus you rest with us a few time. For this I am a little bit sorry. Hvala for everything.«

And my favourite one:

»I think she's very nice and friendly, and she can explain english very well. She could be a parfect teacher. I hope to see her again soon.

Ps: when she speak Italian she's very hot ;)«


Tomorrow the school is throwing a kind of farewell party for me. I've never had a party organised just for myself and so you can imagine how excited I am.. ;)

Let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment