Feb 12, 2009

School affairs

Now that I've been going to this school of mine for almost two weeks now (I can almost call myself an expert ;), it is time for me to give you my first real evaluation.

At first I was really shocked by how things work around here. Pupils coming and going in the middle of the lesson, using their cellphones, putting their make-up.. But then, what I've also learned is that the teacher has actually a lot to do with this. Noone would really tolerate it, but then the pupils themselves know perfectly well how to behave with a certain professor. Knowing that there would be consequences if behaving badly, makes them think twice before doing a nonsense.

Last week my main occupation was to check how things are to be done (I was a kind of an observer), and this week I was ready for action. In the fullest meaning of the word. Trust me ;)
I was asked to help some students who were facing problems with their English. The courses that I'm having are officially called corso sostegno and will be held each afternoon for the following three weeks. When told about this, I thought it was a great idea helping the students in such a way. However, I was fooled once more ;) Not to be too harsh on the students, I have to admit that some really took advantage of this opportunity that they were given. But then there were those who found it.. an useless way of spending their precious time. Yeah, that's the right definition ;) And so instead of taking advantage of it and seeing it as a means of improving their English, they came there to talk to their buddies.
As I did not have many experiences with teaching so far, I found it rather difficult having to calm students down all the time. I though it would be natural for them to be quiet. I've been greatly mistaken ;)
However, to finish off in a slightly more optimistic tone, let me mention that the classes that I had today went much better. The students that I had to teach were older than those from yesterday, and I guess they were aware of the fact they were given an excellent opportunity of taking advantage of my knowledge ;)
The first ten minutes were, naturally, dedicated to asking questions about my age, my status (married?;) and the whole of my personal life. Only later, when I've told them basically everything that they need and need NOT know, could we start ;)
And so I am now glad to be able to conclude that my day at school ended ok! ;)

Ps: on Friday, the Italian national agency (dealing with these kind of exchanges and Comenius assistansthips) is organising a meeting of all foreign assistants who are currently in Italy. It will be held in Florence, and be sure I'm not gonna miss it!

I'll let you know how it goes! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment